Thursday, November 20, 2008

Practicing Gratitude...

As I am reflecting this week a thought has stuck with me for some reason. Do I practice gratitude?

In fact, who do I know in life that practices this on a regular basis? To be honest there is no one I can recall that I see practicing gratitude daily; sadly enough not even myself.

We often talk about how lucky we are to have this and to have that; these things are usually material objects, but how often are we thankful for the intangible things? Perhaps this is nagging at me because Thanksgiving is next week, or maybe because as I near yet another "event" in my life I am reminded to be thankful because "it" can all be gone in a minute. When I refer to "it", I am not referring to my car, my house, my clothes, my job, all those things which I consider necessary to maintain my cushy life. But instead I am referring to my husband, my precious Rogi, all my adorable critters, my parents, my friends - whether they be close or distant, my ability to get out and enjoy my life everyday; as well as many other things which would create a list too long to read.

The reason I write about this is not to point out what we already know, that we should all be thankful; but instead to remind myself that I need to be more diligent about practicing gratitude. It comes with practice, it comes in those moments of quiet when you look around at your life. Remind yourself to have gratitude for all people in your life, all moments; because they happen to teach us, and for all things even the smallest of things.

No comments: